The walls we have previously spoken about were there to protect the Old Town of Dubrovnik during the middle ages. Although the Old Town was almost ruined on two occasions – in 1667 earthquake and again in the 1990s when the Croatian War of Independence was reaching its top – Dubrovnik survived both threats. UNESCO saw the strength and attractiveness in Dubrovnik, and therefore enlisted the town on their World Heritage Site map.
Stradun, Dubrovnik’s main street, is situated in the Old Town. Just meters away, Rector’s Palace was built and established. Knežev dvor, as the Croats call it, was once the seat of government and a prince who was in charge of Dubrovnik during a one-month rule back in the medieval Europe. The palace was turned into a museum over 150 years ago and welcomes visitors on daily basis.
However, churches of Dubrovnik remain the top attraction for tourists. The Church of St. Blaise is a Baroque church constructed in honor of the town’s patron saint. In addition, local residents celebrate the Feast of St. Blaise every year on February 3. The Dubrovnik Cathedral is another history-rich Roman Catholic church located in the Old Town. Richard the Lion Heart ordered the building of the Cathedral in 1192; it was ruined in an earthquake five centuries later. The Cathedral was then rebuilt by 1713.
Dubrovnik’s town hall is in the Old Town today, as well as a few more churches which were built there. We’d visit them for sure.